iPrincipal

iThink iDream iWrite

The Bingo Bonanza

October12

Over the last three weeks of Term 3, we played a Bingo game with our staff (the cards we have used for the last three years can be found here).  Over the three weeks, they had 15 tasks to be signed off.  These ranged from visiting classes (Science, PE, Home Ec, Maths) to spending time in the front office, or the library or in our Learning Enhancement centre.  Staff who managed to get everything signed off went into a draw for an iPad.  Cool stuff.

Today in our PLTs, we asked staff for feedback on their experiences.  Keep in mind that we did not set up any expectations for staff (we had hopes, but kept them to ourselves in the Leadership Team).  The feedback today exceeded our wildest expectations…

• I loved being in other people’s rooms and seeing how they do things.  I learnt so much about how to do things better.
  • It was such a joy to see people “doing their thing”. Inspiring.
  • The kids really enjoyed having different teachers in the spaces with them.  They loved that we were playing a game, but that were were obviously enjoying it, and learning stuff at the same time.
  • It was great to see what amazing things our teachers are doing.  We forget that we have very inspirational people right here in our midst.
  • I could see that a number of our staff offer personalised learning already.  I have to get a move on.
  • We really have some talented people using ICT in amazing ways in this place.  Kids were teaching me how to use these different programs.  They were so proud.
  • Our Teacher Aides and office workers work really hard!
  • Teachers were saying “there’s nothing special going on in my room” but actually, their kids were doing amazing things…it had just become “normalised”.
  • If had forgotten our Chapel existed.  It was such a lovely blessing to just sit quietly in there for 20 minutes.  The light was gorgeous and the quiet just touched my heart.  I came out with tears in my eyes.
  • I enjoyed seeing the kids in different spaces, interacting with a different teacher.  That alone gave me some good ideas about how to work in my classes.
  • Bingo just opened the doors – people were talking about what they were doing in their classrooms ALL THE TIME.  The conversation in the staffroom changed!  Collaboration was really real.
This experience has been such a positive time for us.  We’ve decided to commit to it again next year, but in the interim, to end each morning briefing with the question: Does anyone have anything cool or interesting going on in their class today that others can visit?  There should be lots of fun, and more great learning ahead…
3 Comments to

“The Bingo Bonanza”

1. October 16th, 2011 at 8:56 am      Reply Ziad Baroudi Says:

What a great idea! I had seen the sheet you distributed to the staff (thanks for sharing that) and was wondering how the game went. Anything that gets teachers talking with each other about their practice would have to be a good thing.

2. August 6th, 2012 at 9:39 pm      Reply Kathy Turley Says:

What a great idea. Might try to get our staff to have a go.

3. September 5th, 2012 at 8:28 am      Reply Mark Says:

Great idea. I tried to click on the file but it says the file cannot be found on droplr. Are you able to make that page accessible again?

Thanks,

Mark

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar